The Berry Rural Co-operative Society Limited started in 1911 after a number of dairy farmers purchased the Berry Creamery from David Berry. We have operated from Old Creamy Lane since that time.
The Berry Central Creamery was built on the present factory site in 1895 and was equipped with the most modern machinery available at that time to manufacture butter.
The factory was extended and equipped to sell milk to an expanding Sydney marketplace. The milk market grew quickly, eventually eclipsing butter as the main product with the outcome that butter manufacturing finally ceased in 1958.
Can milk delivery was replaced by tanker collection of farm refrigerated milk in 1968. Three 8,000 litre tankers owned and operated by the cooperative collected all milk. These were later replaced with 11,300 litre tankers.
From September 1991 milk was able to be picked up from the farms in the cooperative’s tankers and delivered direct to the Australian Cooperative Foods Limited factory in Bomaderry. The R & D facility for the testing and grading of the milk is the only section of the factory building now in use.
The South Coast Dairy brand was established in 2005. For many years our milk was processed by a third part while we worked hard to grow our brand along the South Coast of NSW.
To support strong customer demand for our product,we invested over $2.5 million into building our own milk processing facility. The facility was opened in May 2016 on the site of the original Berry Central Creamery in Old Creamery Lane.